Thursday, August 5, 2010

Officially Week 15!

Hello again,
So since I last posted, we kind of had a whirlwind experience that hasn't been so wonderful. I received a call last Friday from the doctor that they thought something was wrong with Baby Millage after doing the quad screen. Basically, the part of the test that screened for Down's Syndrome came back as what they consider positive. Of course, I was very emotional upon hearing the news, but Mike tried to stay as the voice of reason and calm me down. We went in that day for an emergency ultrasound because the doctor said that they wanted to look at the baby's development to determine next steps. Well, we did find out that they had dated me two weeks too early, so instead of being at 16 weeks, I was really only at 14 weeks. This was actually really good news because that meant that I took the tests too early, so this past Monday, I received some revised results from the doctor. The chances of the baby having Down's Syndrome are now less than 1%, but I do have to re-test for other parts of the quad screen that had originally come back good. As a precaution though, Mike and I have to have our 20 week ultrasound with a perinatologist, Dr. Davidson. I guess this doctor is trained in specifically working with high risk pregnancies and since my risk is still similar to that of a 35 year old woman's, they want us just to have the perinatologist do the scan and ultrasound. We are actually doing this a couple of weeks early per the doctor's request, and the one downside is that we may not get to find out if our baby is a little boy or girl! We really would like to know that so we are hoping they can either tell us at this ultrasound, or that we will have another ultrasound later on where we can find this out.

Anyway, not too much going on in our lives other than that! The weather today is cooler than it has been which is so nice for me because the heat has been a little too much to handle. I can't wait for fall and the chance to go to apple orchards and pumpkin patches with Mike (he was gone in September and October last year for training in Florida so I didn't have him around to go with!) I just love fall and all of the sights and smells associated with it, but I guess I shouldn't rush the summer especially since time is flying by anyway!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment